Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fabric Shopping!

Nothing makes a quilter's heart beat faster than being surrounded by beautiful fabric! I unexpectedly had the chance to go to my favorite local quilt shop today. Local as in an hour away, but soooo worth it! I took the family on a surprise date for the day - up to Maine for lunch at Bob's Clam Hut (featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) for some yummy clams and fish'n'chips... We then went to Portsmouth NH to visit a decommissioned submarine, which was actually fascinating!
Check out the sleeping quarters...
So tiny! We were going to head home when my lovely hubby said, "Why don't you go to the quilt shop?" I hadn't even considered it - I hate making my family wait around for me, and it's not exactly the kind of place you spend 5 minutes in, but hubby insisted so how could I say no?! The quilt shop is called Portsmouth Fabric Company and they carry every single Kaffe Fassett fabric made. That won't mean a thing to some of you, but to others, you will know why I was in heaven! I was a naughty girl and bought some of the new Kaffe Fassett Spring 2012 collective fabrics, the reprinted Flea Market fancy and a few others.
I also bought some Kaffe Fassett laminated fabric to make myself a makeup bag. While handy, the ziplock bag I've been using for the last year just isn't cutting it anymore! Here is the laminated fabric next to the same regular cotton.
Aren't they lovely?! If you're a Kaffe Fassett fan then you'll like these scenes from the store...
I took just two of the kids in with me while the other stayed in the car with hubby. They were both fantastic in the store, though you can see how happy my boy was about being there...
I love that photo! The classic pose of the son of a quilter who's been to one too many quilt shops in his short 8 years!

8 comments:

Brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said...

That's the clam shack I went to when we were heading home from the Modern Quilter's Guild retreat... and where I took Sharon. Yeah, the chowder isn't too shabby either. Pretty yummy!
I've always wanted to go to that quilt shoppe too but never seem to make it to Portsmouth early enough to get around to it. Thanks for the great pics, now I feel like I've been there; and haven't missed a thing, hahahaha. JK, I can appreciate the wonderful colors and if I was a modern quilter I too would be drooling.
I don't know what it is about laminated fabric that seems so wonderful to me. I think tote bags, raincoats and diaper bags... LOVE the stuff. Can't wait to see your new creation. I know it will awesome.

Michele said...

Wow, what a fun day! I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Shannon Gillman Orr said...

Jealous! Maybe not over the clams, but definitely over your time at the Portsmouth Fabric Co. !!

Heather said...

Oh, how I would love to spend an afternoon in that store. Your son's face brought back memories of my sons when they were little. But I have the last laugh on them cause now 2 of the 3 have made a career out of sewing. One is a quilt designer and technical editor and one is getting his masters degree in costume design and technology!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I need to quickly make myself a bib to catch all the drool coming from my face!

I think I would take up residence in that store....a fun fantasy anyway.

So glad you got to go and enjoy yourself. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Smiles,
Kelly

RUSHI said...

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (DDD, The Triple D) are a United State American food television series show. The host of this show is Guy Fieri.

Jean C. said...

I just ate lunch; but you've just made me sooo hungry! Yum... guess I will have to live vicariously!
My kids always wanted to go everywhere I went... until they went way too many times to the fabric store! As they got older and DH would come home from work... I told them I was running away from home. They would say; No... your just going to the Fabric store... and then I would go all by myself! Yeahhhhh! Even if I didn't buy anything it was glorious!!!